Education with the Hive Explorer
Easily incorporate STEM and Sustainability in the classroom. Empower learners with the Hive Explorer, its curriculum and our workshops.
1. Hive Explorer Educator Set
For home schooling or in the classroom: Hive Explorer Set + 5 lessons for self-use. Pick & choose between topics that suit your needs.
2. Teacher's Resources
Ready-to-roll teaching resources to bring fun, engaging topics that have never been done before - into your classroom.
You Know Your Students Best
4. Online teacher training
This is a course for teachers where we teach you everything, and provide you with the resources to deliver our Sustainability Curriculum by yourself - anywhere in the world!
Why teach with the Hive Explorer?
• Out-of-the-box learning📦
• Learn-by-daring Approach🦸♀️
• Empowered learners💪🏽
• Curated by Sustainability pioneers👩🏽🔬
what are we doing?
Putting the S into STEM: Sustainability
Since STEM education is all about real-life application and teaching skills that go further than just theories, it only makes sense to incorporate environmental sustainability into such teaching.
What themes and subjects do we cover?
• Exploration of the insect life cycle & scientific sketching
• Mealworm behavioral experiments
• Feeding insects and DIY mealworm farm making
• Mealworm nutritional analyses
• Insects as a natural fertiliser
• The future of food & the SDGs
• Nutrition and healthy diet
• The food chain & feeding relationships
• Edible insects and mealworm burgers activity
• Food & Safety: Allergies and Diseases
• Understanding the food waste crisis
• Upcycling food waste into new food (microgreens growing)
• Effects of climate change and environmental pollution
• Feeding the soil: composting & bokashi fermentation
• Soil erosion & pH detection
• Understand the needs of a community
• Design a sustainable restaurant concept
• Develop business ideas and a business plan
• Design, evaluate, and refine a solution for reducing the impacts of human activities on the environment and biodiversity
• Learn to read data from the Hive Explorer
• Send commands to change living environments of mealworms
• Learn about pioneering insect farming technologies first-hand
Which age group is this for?
Our hands-on lessons and materials are fit for both primary (10-14) and secondary school (14-18) students. Our team also provides additional tailor-made activities and lessons with adequate notice.
Our materials also have the added benefit of aligning with most international curricula including: IB, NGSS, and HK national curricula. Please contact us for specific alignment details.
Download your sample lesson!
Find out how the Hive Explorer curriculum can help you teach essential skills to your students.
STEM EDUCational Tool
The Hive Explorer has been given the STEM.ORG authenticated trust mark, ensuring that it will help strengthen STEM learning skills while promoting STEM education.
Special offer for hong kong only
Book a free school workshop with us
Sign-up for a free 45-minute intro workshop with up to 20 students for your school. Our instructors & Hive Explorers are looking forward to meeting you
Schools we have worked with:
We have worked with over 40 schools and 2800 students in Hong Kong, Europe and Canada to bring Sustainability into the classroom.
School field trip: vienna
Visit the Hive Pro Factory
Sign-up for a guided tour of our factory to learn more about how Food Waste is turned into Food & Feed.
You Are In Good Company! Teachers have said:
Livin Farms brought a fresh perspective into our classrooms with their engaging Sustainability Workshops. Our S3 students & teachers really enjoyed the hands-on time with the Hive Explorer, which was a new STEM experience that had never been done before.Ally LamBiology Head, TWGHs Chen Zao Mens College
Students enjoyed the interactive quiz session, followed by the debate on mealworms as environmental protein alternative and food waste management solution.
Everyone could experience hands on the power of the tiny mealworms against climate change.HHCKLA Buddhist Ching Kok Secondary School
Our school-wide project with the Hive was a great success! It was an opportunity for teachers to teach Science in a unique way and have students in contact with Animals & Nature. We also felt it was not a lot of work to add-on to our school curriculum in Quebec!Noémie La Rue LapierreDirector at Friends of the Insectarium